Tips For Taking Care of Your Hair During Winter
It can be easy to neglect your hair and scalp during the winter months. We get it… holiday parties and family get-togethers take up alot of time. Or, maybe you find yourself saying yes to just one more Christmas movie before bed (spoiler alert: bad idea), only to wake up the next morning rushing out the door with wet hair because you’re late for work!
Like we said, we get it. However, it’s important to show your hair a little extra TLC in the winter. Not only does colder weather zap moisture from your skin and hair, but heating up your house for that toasty, cozy night causes dry air inside, too. To help you out, we’re sharing our 9 best hair tips for caring for winter hair, so that you can enter spring with the healthiest hair ever!
- Massage Scalp- Dry air causes dandruff. It’s nothing to be embarrassed about, but definitely something to take action on! Massaging the scalp not only exfoliates your scalp, but also increases blood flow and stimulates hair growth. Try our scalp massager (with new packaging) here!
- Cover up- Wear a hat or scarf to protect yourself from the winter elements. It’s important to shield your hair and skin from cold air, snow, rain, etc. to keep those moisture levels in tact. Make sure to line your hat with a silk scarf to avoid static electricity!
- Hydrate- Hydration is key! There is less humidity in the winter, so drinking plenty of water is so important. Drinking water supports hair growth and also prevents split ends and breakage.
- Use a humidifier- The air can be so dry in the winter time, especially after heating your house. A humidifier adds moisture back into the air and can help your hair retain its natural moisture.
- Use less heat- Since the weather is already so harsh, try refraining from heat styling tools on your hair. Think cutting down on hair dryers, curlers, flat irons and air brushes. If you absolutely have to, make sure you use a heat protectant. Try our Leave-in Conditioner that conditions and adds shine, but doubles as a heat protectant!
- Moisturize scalp- This one goes along with hydration, but extra moisturization never hurts! We recommend utilizing our conditioners to their full potential! They include aloe as the first ingredient, which is super hydrating and helps calm any dry skin or inflammation that may occur on the scalp. Normally we say you can rinse the conditioner out right away, but during the winter months it's helpful to let the conditioner sit for a little longer to add extra hydration.
- Avoid frequent washes- Washing your hair everyday can be rough on your hair and scalp, especially in the colder months. Washing too frequently strips the hair of its natural oils causing further dehydration. Luckily we recommend using our treatments only 3-4 times a week, or every other day.
- Use a boar bristle brush- Using the right type of brush can be so helpful for your hair. Our Zen Brush is made with vegan boar bristles that distribute natural oils throughout your hair. This not only adds shine, but the bristles are soft enough that they prevent breakage and are gentle on even the stubbornest of tangly, frizzy hair.
- Use an SPF- It is so important to use SPF all year round, especially when it snows! Snow reflects and intensifies UV rays so that the rays still reach our scalp even though we don’t feel heat. We recommend using a spray SPF like this one from Actiiv.
The winter air can be harsh, but if you follow these steps there’s no doubt you will go into spring with perfectly healthy hair! Follow us on Instagram for more tips and tricks!